More meat for your moola!
Pocket-friendly cuts like lamb neck do well in braises and slow cooking. This recipe combines slow cooking and frying. I mean, what is better than combining these two cooking methods! Let me know what you think!
Easy or Difficult: Medium
Preparation Time: 30minutes
Cooking Time: 3hours
1 Whole Lamb Neck 1 Ginger, thumb size, peeled and sliced
1 Whole Garlic bulb, cut in half, not peeled
1 Carrot, peeled and diced
1L Chicken Stock
1 Cup Soya Sauce
1/2Cup Brown Sugar
1 Cinnamon Stick
5 Black Peppercorns
750ml Canola Oil (for frying)
500g Fresh Nectarines, cut in half, pips removed
2 Red Onions, peeled and sliced thinly
2 Cloves Garlic, peeled and chopped
1 Red Chilli (medium hot), seeds removed and finely chopped
1tbl Fine Coriander
1tbl Fine Cumin
1tbl Yellow Mustard Seeds
2tbl Mild Curry Powder
1 Cup Brown Vinegar
1/4 Cup White Sugar
1. Combine all the ingredients for the lamb neck in a pressure cooker.
2. Cook for 1 hour and 30 minutes.
3. Release steam.
4. Make sure the lamb neck is tender but should not fall apart. Cook longer if necessary
5. Remove the lamb neck from the liquid and refrigerate it for 30 minutes.
6. Remove from the fridge after 30 minutes and score (cut diamond pattern) the lamb neck all over 3mm deep.
7. Season lightly with salt.
8. Shallow fry the lamb neck in Canola oil on 160 degrees Celsius on all sides until golden brown (about 3 min each side).
9. Start preparing your warm Nectarine Salsa while your lamb neck is chilling in the fridge
10. Start by grilling half of the Nectarines on a griddle pan until prominent grill marks are visible on the cut side of the nectarine.
11. Now slice the other half of the Nectarines into quarters/wedges.
12. Sauté the red onions and garlic in a little bit of oil until soft and translucent.
13. Add all the spices and chili to the red onions and garlic and cook until aromatic.
14. Now add the vinegar and white sugar and bring to the boil. Simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and add uncooked, sliced nectarines to the vinegar mix. Set aside.
15. Serve lamb neck with a general drizzle of the warm nectarine salsa and grilled nectarines on the side. Garnish with fresh coriander, chopped spring onions, and fresh chili.